I am a massive coffee addict, and a trained barista too, so I thought I’d try out the latest whipped coffee craze that’s slowing making its way through social media. It’s actually know as Dalgona coffee and the idea originates from Korea, although it is very similar to a frappe. This whipped up, fluffy coffee can be enjoyed hot or cold, so I decided to go for the cold version.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar – you could use any type of sugar, e.g. granulated sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar, coconut sugar. For this one I used brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup milk of choice – this could be whichever milk you prefer, I used normals cows milk but I bet hazelnut milk would be incredible with this!
You could easily double or triple the amount of ingredients to make more for you and your family!
- Add the coffee, sugar and boiling water into a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the ingredients on one of the higher speeds.
- Whip the entire mixture for about 5 minutes. Make sure it’s whipped up to a smooth, fluffy consistency.
- In a glass pour out your favourite milk and add a few ice cubes. If you’re making this hot, you can heat your milk on the hob and skip adding in any ice.
- Spoon your whipped up coffee mixture out on top of your milk
- Using your spoon or a straw, stir vigorously to mix it up.
- Sip and enjoy!
I love the texture of this coffee, it’s so smooth and silky. However, I found that it’s way too sweet for me! You could try it with less or no sugar, it does fluff up in the same amount of time, but it doesn’t stay fluffy as long as the sugared version before dissolving to liquid again. You could also substitute sugar for sweetener if you wanted to, as long as it is a granulated or powdered form.
If you wanted to add a little spice to this, you could add a pinch of cinnamon! I did this as I love cinnamon and oh my gosh it was ten times nicer!
Let me know if you try Dalgona coffee and what you think to it!
Love Charlie ♡ x